Friday 29 May 2015

ARE YOU LISTENING TO DOOM SAYERS?

DOOM SAYERS
Doom sayers are people who perpetuate negative stereotype. they will tell you; 'you are not a strong science student', 'you do not have it in you', 'we have seen people like you, they do not go far'
I remember when I was in high school I was convinced that I could write. after a long struggle with my fear, one day I gathered enough courage and I approached my English teacher to see how he could help me write a story book. He gave me a composition to write which I wrote to the best of my ability. 
The following morning I saw him walking down the corridor and I ran after him with my composition. He took it from me and scanned through it and then looked at me. he did not even read the whole composition(it was six pages) He read the first few sentences and the last few sentences, and his verdict; "you do not have it in you, English is not your cup of tea, stick to your sciences and forget about stories. Leave stories to English students." 
These words were like venom to my ears, he crushed me totally especially when I thought of how much effort I had invested in the composition, I had gone to bed passed midnight trying to get it finished and I was sure that I had done my best. Him being my teacher, I trusted him. I was convinced that I was not good and so I forgot about it and went on with my sciences. 15 years passed and in the year 2013, one day I was sitting idle on my study table a thought crossed my mind and I decided to put it down. I wrote over 10 pages of random words then went to bed. The following day in the morning, as I was clearing my study table, the pages that I had done the previous night caught my attention, as I read through them I was really impressed by work. On that day the thought to write my first motivational book crossed my mind, and TEN-STEP RECIPE FOR SUCCESS was born. since November 2013, in under two years I have written three books and I am doing a fourth one. It was true that I was not a story writer but I was a writer any way and all I needed from my teacher was a positive feedback and I would have been doing this maybe 10 years ago. It took me 15 years to break the stereotype that my teacher had planted on me.
DO NOT LIVE DOWN TO THE EXPECTATIONS OF DOOM SAYERS IN YOUR LIFE. IGNORE THEM AND DO WHAT YOU LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment