Saturday 15 April 2017

EGO IS A LITTLE CRYBABY...LEAVE IT AT HOME

1.      Leave your Ego at home
So I am leaving home at 7 am. I am already late for office. I say goodbye to the family but Adrian, my one-year-old son won’t hear any of that. He starts to cry. He wants to tag along…and I think to myself; “If only he could take care of himself”…you see. I do not like seeing him cry so helplessly. Unfortunately, I have to leave him behind……if only I could do something about it. As I walk away, I get an idea. Just the other day a friend of mine was whining about a boss of hers who won’t let her take credit for her work. Bad boss yea?.....that’s beside the point.  She has a problem that I think if she can figure it out she will be a happy woman.
Her Ego! Your ego is like your one year old who is crying to accompany you to work. You know what an inconvenience he might just turn out to be. So you leave him behind despite the crying. Just do a good job and let it not bother you who takes credit for it. If your work is amazing, then you are amazing and what humans say or do afterward may not be important. Do not seek to be applauded and praised just do a good job. If you meet someone, leave them better than you found them.
It’s the best team of players that win the game not a team of best players.
My friend Joseph and I are having a heated debate about why England never wins the world cup. He thinks that it’s a team made up of some of the best players in the world and it should definitely win. I am giving the argument and he thinks I agree with him. But that is not the case….I am thinking…...that might be the very reason why they do not win the cup. Forget your title and academic achievement. The real power lies in empowering others. In fact, someone once said, ”if you want power, give it away” let everyone around you feel that they have a shared responsibility towards achieving a goal. True leaders know how to play this card well. Do not use your power and position to make people listen to you. Spread the passion. Give them a reason to climb up with you. Treat people with rare respect and give them an opportunity to shine, grow and lead. Treat them well and they will treat you well. Do not seek to be the best leader, just coordinate the best team.  

No comments:

Post a Comment