Saturday 22 April 2017

TODAY IS A BRAND NEW CHANCE

I remember growing up I always had this glorious encounters with my grandfather every morning. Our home was a typical traditional homestead, there were seven houses built in a semi circle all facing a spacious yard. The house in the middle belonged to my grandfather and my father’s house was at the age of the semicircle. I remember this big tree in the middle of the yard with a wooden bench. It was my grandfather’s favorite spot in the home. 

However, that’s not what I want to speak about today. What I want to talk about is what happened every morning whenever I walked out of my father’s house. You see, I was an early riser and one of the reasons I would get up early was the excitement of finding a quail in one the traps on the farm- my grandfather was a quail farmer. But each morning whenever I woke up I would find my grandfather already up sitting on the bench under the tree. There are so many occasions when a tried in vain to beat him to it by waking up earlier than usual but he always won. Sometimes I doubted if he used to sleep at all. What would make each morning great were the words my grandfather said to me each time I emerged out of my father’s house. He would look me in the eyes as I tried to stretch and say; “Nothing makes you feel brand new than the first breath of morning fresh air. It’s refreshing when done with the right attitude.”
 My grandfather is long dead but I still remember his words and practice them to this day. Whenever I get out of the bed, I hold my breath until I open the door to the balcony then I breathe in a long breath of morning fresh air. This helps to remind me that e new day has started and it’s full of great things yet to be explored. Each morning (as it should) feels like a rebirth. It’s like coming out of a cocoon and looking at the world with a fresh pair of new eyes. What happened yesterday is not forgotten but it’s not important. The attitudes that I formed yesterday must stay there (in the past) and this morning, I am wearing a brand new attitude. A fresh set of goals to accomplish, new challenges to conquer and new experiences to gather. I am like a baby seeing the world for the first time. What a glorious experience-an opportunity to start all over again.

At midnight today, you will receive an amazing present. A fresh set of 24 hours. It will be like turning a new leaf and starting afresh. These 24 hours are incredible, flawless and limitless. It is a blank slate on which you are supposed to write a new story. A story about today and about how tomorrow was built. It is an opportunity to apply lessons learned yesterday and to learn new lessons. Do not let this day end before learning something new. Accomplish something new. Start something new. Mend a broken relationship. Make a new relationship. Make this day an incredibly great day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment