Sunday 19 April 2015

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR DREAM?

Remember those days when we were growing up? When someone asked us the question, “what would you like to be when you grow up?” Each one of us had a ready answer for that question: some of us would say doctor, others, pilot, some would say engineer, a few would say teacher, and still very few would say police man. Mine was lawyer but I ended up as a high school teacher, yet mine is not the worst case scenario, because I know of some of us who had big dreams and they have ended up with absolutely nothing. Now I am raising a family and I have an eight year old who wants to become a pilot and a 4 year old who wants to become a doctor. The most intriguing part of this is that my wife and I have nothing to do with the decisions that this children have made about their future.
This then got me asking, if no one has pushed them to make this decisions, then how did they come up with them? After so many months of Soul-searching, I have come to the conclusion that inside every child is an inherent desire to become something. This desire may emanate from experiences that the child has as they grow up or they may come naturally as the child begins to be aware of its existence and people around it. The big question is, what happens to this dreams? Research indicates that only a very small percentage of child hood dreams are actualized. A majority of us end up with something so different from the dream that we once had.
The next question I asked myself is; what happens to people when they do not become their childhood fantasies? And the answer is so glaring; scientific researchers have found out that, more that 80% of people working on some kind of a job are not satisfied by what they do. They are mostly complaining of low pay or lack of motivation. I would like to spill out the real truth here. Low pay is just an excuse; the real issue is that they are just stuck with something they do not like. Circumstances around them pushed them in to doing something they have no passion for.

I believe that inside each one of us, God planted a skill that was supposed to make us relevant in a specific area of service to humanity. All of us were borne relevant to the world. We have specific assigned duties which are supposed to make use of our inherent talents and abilities and when we do not put these skills to use, we become restless and unsatisfied. Further research has indicated that, the happiest people are those doing a job that they would be most happy to do even if they were not paid for it. Meaning, theirs is just not a job, it’s a service to humanity that makes them feel relevant and satisfied.
Follow my blog next week as I discuss the "three main laws of success"
Do not forget to leave a comment with recommendations about the kind of topics you would like me to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment