Sunday 27 March 2016

WANT TO BE AN ACHIEVER? STOP THESE HABITS

           Stop the Victim-speak.
One morning while on my way to work, I sat close to an old woman. She looked frail and weary. As usual, I do not like sitting close to someone I haven’t known. So I said hi to her and I introduced myself. This was my biggest mistake of that morning, so to speak.  I can’t remember her name because I am positive that she did not introduce herself. But I can still remember all the whining and complaining. It was such a painful one hour. I couldn’t wait to get to town and literally run away from her. She was poisonous. She did nothing but complain about everything and everyone. This then got me thinking……

You may not be fully in control of what happens to you. True. You can’t control what happens to you, but you are firmly in control of how you chose to respond to situations. You are responsible for your own words and actions. The words that come out of your mouth can either bring closer to your mountain top or they can bring you closer to the bottom of the valley. If great words come out of your mouth then great things shall follow you.

             Stop banging on already closed doors
It is Saturday morning and I am woken up by loud bangs on my neighbor’s gate, I check to see, because I am aware that my neighbor and his family are on a holiday and are not home. I see a young man who apparently wants to drop some utility bills. That’s not my concern. My concern is that it does not matter how loud he bangs the gate, it is never going to open.

Sometimes in life we need to strike a balance between making things happen and deliberately letting things unfold before us. Please do not get me wrong. Work hard. Do your part. Be persistent. Keep coming back. But there comes a time when we need to let God do the rest. If you have tried everything possible to realize an outcome and nothing seems to happen, it won’t hurt you to take a break and rethink. May be you are going about it the wrong way. Stop trying so hard. Look around to see if an alternative exists. May be its not the right time, may be its not in your best interest. I believe in the old adage, when one door closes, another one opens. When you let go something that isn’t working, you create some space on your hands to hold new things. If you are in a relationship where you are giving everything you’ve got and it won’t work, may be its time to quit and move on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment